Two years ago, I got the idea (from a magazine) to give the boys an April Fool's Day dinner. It was a good little trick! Last year when they sat down to dinner, they were very disappointed to not find a fake out meal. I thought it might be a little too predictable it I did this every year. They are still little enough to buy it, or so I thought.
Fast forward to this year, and I get what I thought was a great idea, soup and grilled cheese - fake outs - we ate a lot of soup and grilled cheese this winter. You can judge for yourself...
I think they look pretty good...the "tomato soup" is melted strawberry sorbet with a little mint and an ice cube (Evan insists that his soup have an ice cube even if it isn't hot). The "grilled cheese" are grilled slices of pound cake with frosting in between the two pieces of cake.
I thought it was a great idea, especially since Ryan and Evan gave up dessert for Lent. Ryan climbed up in his chair gave his dinner a once over and me a funny look. In my usual fashion, told him to try it, and that was what dinner was, so he needed to eat. While this was going on, Evan was still struggling to get into his chair, as soon as he had settled himself, took one look at his dinner, he started bawling - and tried through the sobs to tell us he was not eating that; as Eric and I both screamed April Fool's! This just made him cry more! So my weeks of planning had on one level totally paid off, my excitment was squashed by my very unhappy 5 year old boy. I did eventually get Evan to eat dinner - and the fake out one at that - once he stopped his carrying on. I think he even finished Ryan's.
